COVID-19 cases continue to fluctuate in the Waterloo Region

0

On Sunday, Jan. 17, 2021, the Region of Waterloo Public Health confirmed a total of 93 new cases, making this the first time since December for the city to have a reported daily case below triple digits. This is also the first time since Jan. 8th, 2021, for the number of active daily cases to drop below 1000 cases, decreasing by 92. 

The numbers showed continuous decline throughout the week, reporting a total of 74 new cases on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021, a record low for single-day increases since Dec. 30. On the same day, the number of confirmed active cases also dropped by 16, bringing the total number of cases to 851 with 182 deaths, 57 in hospitalization, and 16 in ICU. 

Despite this, the most recent reports from Public Health show that the total number of cases increased on Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021, breaking the city’s streak, increasing the total number of cases to 8,702 with 7,659 resolved cases, and reporting two more deaths, bringing the toll to 184. As of Thursday, there are 857 new cases, 48 in hospitalization, and 15 in ICU. On the same day, the Region of Waterloo Public Health released a statement on Twitter, reinforcing the province’s Emergency declaration and Stay-At-Home Order to reduce contact and to only leave your home for essential trips. 

Public Health officials reported a total of 2,632 new cases across the province of Ontario. Of those, there were 46 reported deaths, bringing the province’s death toll to 5,614, with 1,533 people hospitalized and over 388 in ICU. Health Officials report the Toronto, Peel Region, and York Region have the most reported cases. 

On Thursday, Jan. 21, 2021, Ontario Premier Doug Ford released a video message, where he speaks in 22 different languages urging people to stay home. Regarding the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in Canada, the province announced that it will be changing its vaccination strategy to ensure the most vulnerable receive their second dose. The province awaits anxiously for more information, as cases continue to fluctuate throughout the week.