Women’s volleyball continues winning streak after successful weekend

0

The women’s volleyball team had a very successful weekend as they faced off against Queen’s University and the Royal Military College at home on Saturday night. 

Beginning the weekend against the Gaels, the women dropped a close first set 25-22 before going on to win the following two sets with sizeable leads 25-17 and 25-18.  Finishing off the match with an easy final set, the team got into a rhythm and easily closed off the match with a final set of 25-11. Third-year veteran Claire Mackenzie led the way offensively for the team with a total of 13 kills, and second-year Sarina Trasolini positioned as libero held up the defensive end with 19 digs for the team.

The winning streak continued into Saturday against RMC, with the Warriors dominating in three straight sets. This marked the third win of the season for the women, taking home scores of 25-12, 25-10, and 25-15. Dominant players during the match included middle blocker Casey Clunas, who had nine kills and two assisted blocks, and second-year setter Karly Smith, who set her team up for victory with a total of 27 assists throughout the match.

The wins total a three-game winning streak for the women’s volleyball team, bumping up their seasonal score to three wins and two losses. The Warriors now have six points overall and sit in third place behind the McMaster Marauders with 12 points and Western Mustangs with 14.   

A critical match for the Warriors takes place this weekend Nov. 25 against McMaster in Hamilton, as the Warriors hope to extend their winning streak to four straight matches. A win against the Marauders could bring the Warriors up to eight points, slowly closing the gap on the second-place team.

So far, the Marauders have dropped just one regular season match, losing their home opener 1-3 to the 2016 CIS champions, UofT.

The women will also travel to St. Catherine’s on Saturday Nov. 26 to face off against the Brock Badgers, who are currently seeded fifth overall in OUA West.

Before the winter break, the team has just one more match at Guelph on Friday, Dec. 2, who they previously beat 3-1 this season. The women will then be back in full force in the new year as they take on top teams such as Western, Ryerson, and the UofT.