Where to eat off-campus

0

Looking to get away from campus and grab a bite to eat? Whether you’re craving a hearty post-hangover brunch or simply searching for a new lunch hangout spot for your friends, Imprint has compiled a list of the best restaurants for you to try in Waterloo.

Check them out — you won’t be disappointed.

The best brunch in town

Pür & Simple 

2 King St N

Mel’s Diner might be a classic Waterloo staple, but for something similar a little further away from campus, check out Pür & Simple in Uptown Waterloo. With their fresh, locally-sourced ingredients, welcoming staff, and minimalist ambiance, it really is the perfect sit-down restaurant. Their menu has every one of your brunch cravings covered, whether you want a savoury breakfast skillet or a decadent batch of waffles. The portion sizes are generous too, and always leave me with leftovers for the next day.

Food for your next pub crawl  

The Pub on King 

77 King St N

This popular pub provides you with a close-up view of uptown at night and is always bustling no matter the hour. It’s also perfect for students buying food on a budget: every item is $7.95, and the portion sizes are huge. My personal favourites are the basket of sweet potato fries and funnel cake fries.

Morty’s 

272 King St N

Located close to Laurier, Morty’s is another pub that’ll give you a chance to explore the city beyond UW’s campus. With outdoor patio seating making for a memorable atmosphere, it’s a great go-to for summer nights out so be sure to check it out while the weather is still warm. As for the food itself, I recommend you order the loaded nacho and fries plates at your next group gathering with friends. You won’t regret it.

(Actually tasty) vegetarian options!

The Jane Bond 

5 Princess St W

If you’re vegetarian or vegan (or just want good food in general), stop by Jane Bond next time you’re uptown. Their vegan BBQ jackfruit tostadas and burrito bowls are a must-try.

Shinwa Asian Cuisine 

160 University Ave W

During my second year, Shinwa became my go-to treat after a long day of classes. They carry my favourite vegetarian spring rolls, and also are perfect no matter what you’re craving: whether its rice, noodles, or soups, their menu is stacked with great, hearty options. They offer takeout and sit-down options, so they’re a perfect fit whether you’re on-the-go or having lunch with a friend.

More Hidden Gems

Indo Hakka Corner

324 Highland Rd W

Indo Hakka Corner combines Indo Chinese, mughlai, and Thai cuisine, and the result is some of the best fusion food you’ll try in town. From tandoori meats to deep-fried momos served with spicy sauces, you’re only getting the best flavours here.

Meltwich 

255 King St N

I went to high school in Waterloo, and almost three years later, I still remember the impression their mac and cheese left on me after I first tried it. Their poutine (as someone who doesn’t even love poutine) is delicious too, and their burgers and sandwiches are perfect if you’re craving food that’s hearty, filling, but better than your typical fast food joint.