Waterloo loses home opener to McMaster Marauders

0
The University of Waterloo women&rsquo;s volleyball team faced off against the McMaster Marauders in their first game of the season Nov. 6. Unfortunately for the Warriors, they were unable to stop the mighty Marauders from taking three sets in a row.&nbsp;</p>

The Warriors demonstrated great attacking skills with 23 kills throughout the game, but 21 costly errors would place the Marauders in the winning column. 

The first set was a disputed one with the Warriors taking the first three points. Second-year Sammie Gwozdz was solid — delivering powerful serves that would keep the Marauders on their toes for much of the game. McMaster established a pretty comfortable seven-point lead, at 19-12 halfway through the first set, but second-year Emily Ibbotson got the wheels rolling again on the Warriors bus. 

The Warriors would add points to their score, getting as close as 22-20. Unfortunately for the Warriors, McMaster kept coming at them with strong and precise kills, taking the set 25-20. 

The second set was not a good one for the Warriors, who began by adding only a single point. Soon after that, the Marauders would work a five point lead that was only stopped by Emily Needles and Brooklyn Gallant. This wasn’t enough to stop the Marauders’ speedy attack, adding eight points to their tally, giving them a 13-3 lead. Waterloo was unable to put a stop to McMaster’s momentum, losing the set 25-17. 

With only one set left to formulate a response, the Warriors fought hard to send the game to a fourth set. Most of the final set saw an exchange of kills and digs from both squads, although neither was able to take a significant lead over the other. The Warriors managed to take a 17-11 lead, giving them hope for a comeback and a set win. Unfortunately, the Warriors were unable to secure the set or stop the Marauders’ offensive attack, losing the set 25-21, and taking the match in straight sets. 

Alyson Colpitts led the Warriors with seven kills, Ibbotson and Casey Clunas had four each while Needles contributed 16 assists and eight digs. 

The men’s volleyball team also fell to the Marauders in straight sets, 25-16, 25-22, 25-15, at their home opener Nov. 6.