Waterloo alumna among Liberal cabinet

0
Waterloo grad Bardish Chagger was named among the 30 ministers in the recently announced Liberal cabinet. She will be one of the 15 women entering the first gender-balanced cabinet in Canadian history, as minister of tourism and small business.</p>

Chagger, a Waterloo native, graduated from the University of Waterloo in 2004 with a Bachelor of Science. Chagger has worked extensively with the Waterloo community at the Kitchener-Waterloo Multicultural Centre, having previously planned the annual Multicultural Festival in Victoria Park. Chagger has also worked as executive assistant to former MP Andrew Telegdi.

Kitchener-Waterloo, known as a magnet for small business, gives Chagger a knowledgeable background in her new role as minister. 

“We recognize that small business is important,” she told CBC News Nov. 4, adding “You’ll see that we are committed to and working for Canadians for a better Canada.”

One of Chagger’s tasks will be to reduce the tax rate for small businesses. This comes after Prime Minister Trudeau announced that he wants to ensure that high earners aren’t using the small business tax rate as a tax shelter.

Chagger has previously volunteered at the Heart and Stroke Foundation, Interfaith Grand River, and MT Space, a multicultural theatre in downtown Kitchener. Chagger has also worked on the board for the Workplace Planning Council. 

Chagger spoke on 570 News  about taking her oath as minister.

“I was able to take a moment and recognize where I have come from. Having my father in the room … a family that immigrated and never saw something like this being able to happen and knowing that it is possible.”

A rookie on the hill, Chagger is one of 18 cabinet members to be named an MP just last month.