Warriors spear Windsor Lancers on home ice

0
After winning against the York Lions 4-1 Nov. 20, the Waterloo Warriors took to the CIF Arena Friday, Nov. 27 looking to tally their second-straight win against the Windsor Lancers. The Warriors were successful in their endeavor, defeating the Lancers in an astounding 5-2 win.&nbsp;</p>

It was the Lancers who opened the score with an early goal by Dylan Denomme during the Lancers’ first power play, taking a 1-0 lead only six minutes into the game. The Warriors headed into the second period scoreless. 

A tripping penalty against Windsor’s Mike Christou would give the Warriors the man advantage early in the second. During the first minute of the power play, fourth-year Riley Sonnenburg opened the scoring for the Warriors with his fourth goal of the season, assisted by second-year Tommy Tsicos and first-year Joey Champigny. This tied the game 1-1. The Warriors stepped on the gas when 1:40 later, fourth-year Colin Behenna added another goal, scoring on a breakaway after a Mike Moffat pass, making it 2-1. This was Behenna’s seventh goal of the season. 

Champigny was once again fundamental in this scoring play by the black and gold, contributing to the breakaway. 

The Warriors would then explode past the Lancers as Andrew Smith tipped a rebound from Behenna’s stick, giving the Warriors a 3-1 lead. With a few seconds left of the clock, Behenna and Champigny would secure Waterloo’s lead by adding a nailbiting goal on a breakaway before going into the third period. 

The Lancers’ Tyson Ness would whistle one past UW’s goalie Mike Morrison at the 15:31 mark, but it wasn’t enough to get the Lancers back on track. An empty net goal by Sonnenburg would seal the game in Waterloo’s favour, making it 5-2. 

The victory pushed Waterloo’s record to 6-8-0 on the season. Morrison contributed with 38 saves. 

The Warriors would move on to play and defeat Ryerson Saturday Nov. 28, improving their record to 7-8-0.