Warrior Wrap-up

0

Behenna, Moffat, and Underwood go home with hardware

University of Waterloo men’s hockey assistant captain Colin Behenna was honoured for his excellent play in the 2015-2016 CIS ice hockey season. He was named the OUA West Division MVP and given first-team OUA all-star honours, recognizing his invaluable contribution to the men’s hockey team. Behenna is a fourth-year math and business administration student. His 21 goals and 23 assists in 27 games puts him at over a 1.5 points-per-game pace and was good enough to place him third in the CIS in scoring. Behenna is the fifth Warrior in history to be recognized as the conference MVP.

Also getting recognition on the Warriors team was defenseman Mike Moffat. On top of being named to the OUA West second team all-star, Moffat was given the Randy Gregg Award of Merit, given to the player who best balances academics, community service, and outstanding skill on the ice. 

Also distinguished as a second team all-star was defenseman and team captain Joe Underwood. This is his fourth straight all-star nomination and his fifth year being recognized for his play ­— he was named to the all-rookie team during his first year at Waterloo.

Naomi Lance wins silver medal at CIS track and field championship

Naomi Lance, a fifth-year  UW student studying therapeutic recreation, capped off her university career in style by winning a silver medal in the 300 metre race at the CIS track and field championship. The event was held at York University, where multiple strong competitors from universities across the country came to compete for the gold medal. Lance won her silver medal with a blistering time of 39.17 seconds, which places her at third all-time in UW history for the 300 metre. She also narrowly missed out on the gold medal, finishing only a seventh of a second behind first-place Ashley Whiteman of the University of Alberta. Sheereen Harris of York University finished third.

Fellow Warrior Joerg Ahne was also present for the CIS championship event, but did not medal, although he did make it to the finals. He finished in fifth place in a highly competitive long jump event, posting a respectable distance of 7.04 metre. Ahne is a second-year student studying mechanical engineering.

The women’s 4×200 relay race also did not find the podium, but managed to make the event a very close one. They finished in sixth place, 2.47 seconds behind the first-place University of Alberta team. Western and Guelph also medaled in the event.