The halls are alive with the sound of music

0

The UW A Cappella Club held their end-of-term concerts March 28 and 29 and featuring 10 unique groups. 

This term’s concerts were especially celebratory as the term saw three groups attend the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA), with one group, the Intentional Accidentals, coming in third place in the semi-finals.  

The Water Boys kicked off the show with a five-song setlist including a Michael Jackson classic, “Smooth Criminal.” The Water Boys are UW’s first all-male group and were one of the three groups competing at the ICCAs. The set also included Michael Bublé’s “It’s A Beautiful Day,” which included a short dramatic intro. 

The Unaccompanied Minors, who also attended the ICCA’s, performed their set from the competition in addition to other hits, including “Let it Go,” the theme song of the popular animated movie Frozen, featuring soloist Abbey Young. 

The concert also featured other larger, more established groups like ACE and the AcaBellas (UW’s first all-female group), as well as several small, newly-formed ensembles. 

Heaven is a Place on Erb was formed this term and is made up of a cappella-loving roommates; they performed in their sweats because that’s how they practise at home. 

ACE performed a mashup of “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benetar and “One Way or Another” by Blondie. The AcaBellas did their own rendition of Sara Bareilles’s jazz cover of Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies,” complete with choreography. 

Another small group, The Committee, mashed up PSY’s “Gangnam Style” with Wonder Girls’ “Nobody.” Other groups that performed included Start9 and A Tone. 

The show ended with a lively performance of “Anything” by Hedley featuring all of the night’s performers singing together.