Snacking airplane mode

0

The end of the semester is fast approaching and with it comes warm weather, the spring term, and the potential for travel. At Waterloo, there’s a substantial amount of students whose families live plane, bus, or train rides away. Long distance travelling usually prompts the masses to consider inventing teleportation, but at least you can have these snacks to keep you company (all modes of transportation friendly).

Fruit & Vegetables

Graphic by Lea Clarin

Taking fruit on the plane is a great idea for inter-North American travel. However, make sure you check the laws on produce and food for the specific country you’re visiting, otherwise it will be confiscated before you board the plane.

Graphic by Lea Clarin

Bananas, apples, and grapes are easy and relatively cheap fruits that make great airplane snacks. If you prefer vegetables, cucumbers, carrots, and celery are also easy. Bring some peanut or nut butter for the fruit or some hummus for the veggies if you can.

Granola Bars

Graphic by Lea Clarin

They’re small, easy to carry, and filling depending on what kind you get. Aim for ones that aren’t just oats, chocolate, and marshmallows. See if you can find ones that have any kind of nut or fruit.

Munchies

Savoury treats like pretzels, popcorn, crackers, and rice cakes also make great travel snacks. They’ll always make it past airport security and everybody likes them. Just make sure you have easy access to water.

Bulk Bin Items

Graphic by Lea Clarin

If you’re looking to save even more money, hit up some bulk snack stores. You can find quick snacks like sesame sticks, an assortment of nuts, dried fruits, candies, and pre-made granolas.

The best thing about bulk stores is that you can choose the quantity of the food you’re buying, which means you can mix and match and only spend a small amount of money.

While snacks are a key factor in making a travel experience a positive, always make sure you’re drinking something like water or tea. Avoid things that will make you feel dehydrated like sodas and coffee. Safe travels!