News Briefs

0

Kraft faces Velveeta cheese shortage in light of high demand

A report from The Canadian Press states that cheese lovers may need to stock up on Kraft Food’s Velveeta brand of cheese.

Jody Moore, a spokeswoman for Kraft Foods, stated that these shortages occur occasionally, but this shortage is due to heightened seasonal demand. With the upcoming sports myriad of the NFL playoffs, Olympic trials, and the Super Bowl,this is prime snack food sales season, according to the <em>CNBC</em>.

The cheese is popularly melted into a dip, and many Americans are missing this snack already with the term &ldquo;cheesepocalypse,&rdquo; coined by Twitter user @brooklynbaker, being thrown around the web.

Moore stated that the company believes this will only be a short term problem.

&nbsp;

Daisy Mart burglars demand cash, steal jewelry display

Two men entered the Cambridge Daisy Mart on 21 McKay Street, Jan. 6 at 10:15 p.m. and demanded that the cashier hand over the till.

When the individuals were refused, they took the store&rsquo;s jewelry display rack worth $250.

<em>The Record</em> describes two suspects: the first is a 30-40-year-old white man, 6&rsquo; tall, with a medium build, wearing a plaid blue jacket over a black hooded shirt with the hood up; a dark baseball hat, black scarf over his face, black gloves, and blue jeans.

The second suspect is a skinny white man believed to be 38-40 years old, 5&rsquo;9&rdquo; tall, with a red scruffy beard. He was last seen wearing a black leather jacket, black gloves, blue jeans and black boots.

Waterloo Regional Police are asking that anyone with information about the two men step forward and call 519-653-7700, ext. 2299 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

&nbsp;

Record cold temperatures lead to cancelled landings at Pearson

The Greater Toronto Airport Authority has called for a “ground hold” at Pearson International Airport due to the extreme cold weather conditions. According to the Toronto Star, all arrivals were halted for eight hours Jan. 7 and the repercussions could affect flight schedules for the next few days.

Frozen doors and equipment failure become a major concern when the temperature drops so rapidly, as well as the health and safety of ground crew.

This marks Pearson&rsquo;s first ground hold due to cold temperatures. Holds are typically only called in the event of lightning or snowstorms, and such a serious call is only made once all other options have been considered.

Some travelers have been stuck at the airport since Monday night, sleeping in chairs and on benches, and lining up in lengthy lines to check on the status of their flights.

Pearson International encourages travelers to check the status of their flights online before leaving for the airport.

&nbsp;