New radio show keeps you up-to date for June 7

0

Kevin Hiebert wants to make it easy for non-voters to have their voice heard.

“It’s typically close to half of eligible people don’t vote. That in and of itself is the single largest block. They would form a majority for anything they want to do if they came together,” he said.

Hiebert wants to make it easy for people to get the information they need to cast an educated vote by giving all candidates a forum to speak on a radio show, CKMS 102.7FM’s Vote for me! 6-7-18.

The weekly show airs on Friday’s from 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. to give local politicians a place to talk about their platform and answer questions they may not expect to give listeners an introduction to candidates.

“The typical coverage of elections centres on the three main parties to the exclusion of everybody else. There isn’t much information available on (independent or fringe candidates),” he said. “I’m hoping this, being on the airwaves on the Internet and through multiple channels gives folks more access to more choices.”

Heibert said he has two confirmed guests. On May 11 Narine Sookram, an independent candidate from Kitchener South-Hespler will join Heibert to talk about his plans for the riding and his take on current issues effecting residents.

Heibert feels like many people don’t vote because they aren’t exposed to candidates who they feel represent their needs and having access to candidates who were denied access to televised debates may encourage them to vote.

“The feeling of disenfranchisement and disempowerment is a strong factor because many people view a lack of choice,” he said.

“People don’t feel any connection to local candidates. They see a top down party, the leader is the party and the local candidate does what leader says. They lose connection between themselves and local representative who is actually elected, so I believe at least people having an appreciation that, those three parties are not the only option could help them engage and be more likely to vote. That’s the main objective, getting more people to vote.”

The show will feature seven politicians registered to run in the June 6 election that are not receiving government funding or is in a registered party that will not have its leader featured in a televised debate, over seven weeks.

For more information about the show or to submit questions for candidates email Heibert at myaudioface@gmail.com.

Courtesy Radio Waterloo – CKMS 102.7 FM