Monday Morning Brew: June 22 edition

0

Canada advances to quarterfinals in women’s Fifa world cup

The Canadian women’s soccer team defeated Switzerland 1-0 in front of a crowd of 53,855 fans that packed BC Place in Vancouver. Josee Belanger scored the lone goal from inside the penalty box in minute 52 of the match. Canada will have to wait to see who comes out on top in the Norway versus Britain match, taking place today at 5 p.m.

Source: Sportsnet

Thousands gather together for the vigil of the Charleston shooting victims

After the mass shooting at Emanuel AME church in South Carolina that resulted in nine deaths on June 17, thousands of residents attended a vigil in respect for the dead. The vigil, which took place at the same place of the shooting, was composed of reflections on the victims’ lives, and prayers for the victims as well as the gunman who initiated the massacre. According to the Guardian, city councilman and trustee of Emanuel AME William Gregorie believes that while there is still a void left in the church and the community, there is still hope to recover in due time.

Source: The Guardian

Australian man proposing to his girlfriend by recreating Magic’s music video goes viral

If you’re down on love, this story might get you believing in love again. An Australian man recreated Magic’s music video featuring the song ‘Rude’ with friends and family to surprise his girlfriend in a heartwarming proposal. The couple has been dating since high school! The video has gone viral and collected nearly 2 million views over the span of just a couple of days.

Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcQZzYecaJg

Source: Youtube