Mixed fortunes for women’s volleyball

0
The Waterloo Warriors women&rsquo;s volleyball team faced the Windsor University Lancers Nov. 20. The Lancers finished off the Warriors in only three sets, improving their record to 5-2. With the loss, the Warriors team dropped to 3-4.&nbsp;</p>

Waterloo started strong in the opening set, going up 5-0. Emily Ibbotson led the Warriors attack, while Claire Mackenzie contributed with four straight points with impressive serves. The Lancers never stopped trying to reduce the Waterloo lead, which they did, tying the game at seven points. Windsor was able to get back in the game due to the fact that the Warriors kept making costly errors — a service error by Mackenzie would put the Lancers ahead on the board. 

The remainder of the first set would see an exchange between both squads, keeping each other under check. Waterloo kept on the offensive and looked as if they were going to take the set at 24-22, but unfortunately the Warriors were unable to keep the Lancers under control. An attack error by Alyson Colpitts would give the advantage to Windsor, taking the set 26-24. 

During most of the second set, the Warriors looked like they weren’t connecting as the Lancers were. Lauren Stirling and Shannon Dean led Windsor to take the second set 25-14. The Warriors managed to keep the Lancers under control for the initial minutes of the set, but would lose control after the Lancers took a 22-14 lead. 

The last set saw a rapid exchange of points between both squads. An attack error by Lancer Shannon Dean would tie the game at 10 points, giving the Warriors hope to take at least one set. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to get the Warriors back in the game, and a kill by Jade Ziebarth would get the wheels going for Windsor. The Lancers would take the set 25-21, giving them the  3-0 win. 

Alyson Colpitts contributed a team-high 10 points and two blocks for the Warriors. Mackenzie finished with six kills and three service aces. For the Lancers, Stirling finished the game with 23 assists while Dean had eight kills and three blocks.

The Warriors faced the Western Mustangs on Nov. 21, where they were handed their second loss of the weekend, falling 3-1 to the Mustangs.