Last-minute Valentine’s Day ideas

0

Whether you like to be spontaneous (in other words, you completely forgot to make plans), you want to enjoy the perfect Galentines with friends, or you’re in need of some self-care time, we’ve got your back. Here are some easy, somewhat non-cheesy ideas for all you last-minute romantics (or anyone else looking to enjoy Valentine’s Day without blowing your budget). 

1. Cooking something together 

By the time you’re reading this, it is likely too late to try to get a reservation. So, turn that oversight into an opportunity. Ditch crowded, over-priced restaurants on one of the busiest days of the year to instead make a delicious homemade meal. Treat your significant other, friends, or yourself to one of your tried-and-true favourite meals or something new! For a little inspiration, scroll through the countless recipes on Instagram or Pinterest, or try opening a cookbook to a random page and making whatever you discover! 

1. Spa night at home 

Light a candle, get some face masks, nail polish and magazines, and pamper yourself to a luxurious at-home spa night for a fraction of the price. This pairs nicely with a cup of tea or a glass of wine. Tip for extra relaxation — put on some chill music or your favourite movie. 

1. Have a painting night 

No prior artistic experience required! Everything you need for this (some easels, paints, and brushes) can be found at any dollar store. Before you know it, you’ll feel like you are back in kindergarten, creating everything from DIY Valentine’s Day cards to artwork for your fridge door. 

1. Go skating 

Visit the skating rink at Uptown Waterloo! No skates? No problem. You can borrow skates for free from the Waterloo Public Library Eastside Branch and McCormick Branch. Afterwards, you can warm up with a hot chocolate from one of the several cafes just a short walk from the rink. These include Pilot Coffee Roasters, Starbucks, Café 22, and the Princess Cafe. 

1. Check out unique spots around town

One such spot is Orange Monkey Music, a record shop located in the heart of Uptown Waterloo. With its bright orange exterior and unique window display, it’s hard to miss. Browsing the bins is a fun way to discover and rediscover music to add to your library. If you want to take it up a notch, pick an assortment of records and then pick one song off each to create a playlist. This is a great way to share each other’s musical treasures or simply rediscover some of your own forgotten gems.  

Pin Up Arcade Bar is another special spot within walking distance of campus, near King Street and University Avenue West. It has nostalgic video games and a lounge area to sit and play some board games. A nice game night bonus — no need to worry about buying tokens as the $8 per person entry fee covers unlimited play of all the games. 

1. Thrift to your heart’s content 

Going thrifting (always a good time) can be even more special with a partner or friends. ln true Valentine’s Day style, why not try picking out something for each other? And if you’re spending the day with a group, you can pick names out of a hat and do it Secret Santa-style. 

1. Have a game night 

Cards and board games are timeless classics for a fun night in and a great option for those who enjoy a little friendly competition. My personal favourites include Clue, Monopoly, Bananagrams, and Code Names. As for cards, this would seem the perfect night for a game of Hearts. And if you don’t happen to have a shelf of games at the ready, check out the selection at the libraries on campus, or head to the nearby board game cafe, Games on Tap, which has virtually every board game invented on its shelves.