Investing in manufacturing innovation

0
Photo taken by Ju Hyun Kim

Minister Bardish Chagger came to the University of Waterloo May 24 to announce an $8.9 million investment to establish the Multi-Scale Additive Manufacturing Innovation Lab (MSAM) from the Federal Economic Development Agency of Southern Ontario.

“We are proud to work with Canada’s manufacturers as they work to adopt new technologies in processes,” Minister Chagger said. “Today’s investment will help create good jobs, and demonstrates our continued commitment to supporting innovation in this important sector.”

MSAM will be used for research and development in biomedical science and engineering, as well as create jobs in the manufacturing sector.

The lab is equipped with machines that can print 3-D objects of any shape in plastic and metals such as titanium and aluminum

Examples of 3-D printed objects. Photo by Ju Hyun Kim

UWaterloo students will also get a chance to use MSAM and work on projects.

“Students taking the controls additive manufacturing course will get a chance to see how 3-D printing of metallic materials work,” Dean of engineering Pearl Sullivan said. “There will be many co-op students hired, and hundreds of graduate students will be trained [to use the equipment].”

Undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in 3-D printing and industrial manufacturing can contact MSAM research director and Professor Ehsan Toyserkani.