How to vote in the federal election

0
Courtesy Imprint

Elections Canada’s decision not to run the “Vote on Campus” program has left many students at the University of Waterloo wondering how to cast their vote. Luckily, there are many options available.

Advance polling stations closed on Sept. 13, and the deadline for voting by mail and through the special ballot process passed on Sept. 14. Therefore, students who are in Waterloo and hoped to vote in a home riding outside of the region, no longer have this option. 

Nevertheless, students who have not already applied for a special ballot can still vote in the Waterloo riding come election day on Monday Sept. 20. Elections Canada provides a Voter Information Service to find the polling station closest to you. If you are not in Waterloo, you can also opt to visit a polling station in your home riding on election day.

Voting at any Elections Canada office is an option if you cannot go to your assigned polling station in your riding during advance polls or on election day. The closest Elections Canada office to campus is at 725 Bridge St W, and is a 10-minute drive or 30-minute bus ride away.

There are also many options in terms of what pieces of ID are needed to vote:

Option 1: Show either your driver’s license or any other card issued by a Canadian government (federal, provincial/territorial or local) with your photo, name and current address.

Option 2: Show two pieces of ID. Both must have your name and at least one must have your current address. Examples include a voter information card and bank statement, or, a utility bill and your Watcard.

Option 3: If you don’t have any ID, you can still vote if you declare your identity and address in writing and have someone who knows you, and who is assigned to your polling station, vouch for you. In this case, the voucher must be able to prove their identity and address.

For more detailed information on how to vote, be sure to check out Election Canada’s website before heading to the polls.