Hook’d: February 24

0
Hell week has come. Here are a few songs that can help you get through it!</p>

1. “Tether” – Eric Prydz vs. CHVRCHES

Swedish DJ Eric Prydz has teamed up with Scottish band CHVRCHES for this energetic blast of a single. “Tether” is actually a remix of the song of the same name from CHVRCHES’ 2013 debut album The Bones of What You Believe. It focuses on a few of the key lines from the end of the song (“Feeling capable of seeing the end / Feeling capable of saying it’s over”), and incorporates a wide variety of arpeggiated EDM synths into the equation. The end result could be compared to Rihanna’s “We Found Love,” in the sense that sometimes, one good verse is all you need to make a mesmerizing song.

2. “Take Ü There (Missy Elliott Remix)” – Jack Ü featuring Kiesza               

Straight off her amazing feature at Katy Perry’s Superbowl Performance, Missy Elliott has dropped this remix of Skrillex and Diplo’s (known together as Jack Ü) song “Take Ü There.” Missy Elliott basically drops some verses over a trap and dancehall beat while Canadian singer Kiesza sings. One thing is for certain: it’s been way too long since she’s released an album, and we NEED new music from her.

3. “Where the Sky Hangs” – Passion Pit

Another cut from their upcoming album, Kindred, “Where the Sky Hangs” is quite different from the lead single, “Lifted Up (1985).” The song is a lot more mellow, but it is still a bouncy song for early mornings. The song talks about love, with lyrics like “I've got somebody else just to keep me on my toes again / I can barely stand when you're coming too close.” Everything works here, from Angelakos’ signature falsetto, to the xylophone, to the synths.

4. “Banks of the Ohio” – Sean Watkins featuring Fiona Apple

Nickel Creek member Sean Watkins and singer-songwriter Fiona Apple have teamed up to tackle a cover of this classic bluegrass song. It’s a pretty straightforward cover, but the two of them harmonize vey well, and it’s always great to hear Fiona Apple’s voice.