Handy hangover cures

0

By Julie Nguyen

On the case of morning-after regrets

We don’t encourage binge drinking in any capacity, but it is university, and sometimes, one beer turns into four tequila shots. While some may be aware of the typical methods of curing a hangover like having some Kudzu Root, there are certainly quirks that are local to KW region that’ll have you back on your feet in no time.

Stay ahead of the game

The key to getting over a night of hard drinking and bad decisions is to eat your weight in carbs. Head to the nearest McDonald’s, Mozy’s Shawarma, or my personal favourite, Cheesus Murphy. Cheesus Murphy is a pop-up grilled cheese stand that is open from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Friday’s and Saturday’s, specifically to cater to the late night club-going crowd. Having a heavy meal like this before you sleep will keep your hangover minimal and will soak up all of the alcohol.

Noodles (ramen, pho, hand pulled noodles)

If you’re a late riser, then maybe skip breakfast and opt for a heavy lunch. Noodle soups like ramen, pho, and lamien are loaded with nutrients and carbs, and let’s be real, who doesn’t feel better after a big bowl of soup? For authentic ramen, check out Kenzo’s, or Foodie Fruitie for an Asian fusion take on ramen. The regions best pho is in at Pho Dau Bo, but Ben Thanh does a house special pho that will have you feeling like a new and better person. Lamien, or Chinese hand-pulled noodles, are plentiful in the UW Plaza, but if you’re willing to make the trek, my person favorite would be Song’s Lamien.

Greasy breakfast at bomber (and the hair of the dog)

Life pro-tip for early risers, 8:30 a.m. class go-ers, and those battling hangovers, the Bombshelter Pub has $4 breakfast before 11 a.m. which includes toast, two eggs, your choice of protein (sausage, bacon, or beans) and homefries. After 11 a.m., the deal becomes $6, which is still a steal. This breakfast is filled with all of the carbs, protein, and electrolytes to start your day right.

If you stay past 11 a.m., you’ve made it to the legal time frame that establishments can serve you alcohol. This means that if you’re up for it, you can test the theory of using the hair of the dog that bit you. This means using the thing that’s causing your suffering to recover from it, and with 14 different beers on tap, Bomber is sure to have what you’re looking for.