Grade 10 Family University Info Night

0
Courtesy Heather Ecobichon

It’s never too early to think about university and your post-secondary school plans. On Thursday, Feb. 18 from 6-7:30 p.m., grade 10 students who are thinking about attending university and their parents are invited to an online information session to learn how they can prepare.

In this online event, attendees will receive an overview of university and helpful tips on making the difficult decision of what program to study. Information from this virtual conference will assist students applying to all universities or programs, not just UW courses. 

Dr. Christine Logel, Associate Professor at the University of Waterloo, is hosting the event. She will address myths and misconceptions about what university is really like. 

“People should attend so they can learn things current university students wish they had known, and so they can share that information with other students and parents,” Logel said.

Prior to creating this event, Logel conducted a study on focus groups made up of current UW students. 

“They wished they had known about the reality – that lots of academic support is available, that there are bursaries, scholarships, and paid work opportunities, and that lots of students take a few years off, or start at a college and then transfer, or even work for years and then return to university to start a new career,” Logel explained.

The event is aimed at students who are influenced by these misconceptions and might decide that university is just not for them. 

”I want them to know that they still have a place at UW, and they are welcomed here,” Logel stated.

Logel shares a personal story that echoes many of the concerns of current high school students: “When I was in Grade 10, I wish I knew that an Arts degree prepares you for so many different careers. I knew I was interested in Psychology and Sociology, but I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to get a job when I graduated. I thought I had to have a particular career in mind already. But actually, university is a place to expand your mind and learn thinking skills that prepare for careers you didn’t even know existed.”

This event is free for registration on the UW Undergraduate Programs webpage.

The information night will proceed as follows:

6 to 7:30 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time/EST)

Learn about:

Studying what you love at university

Admissions and applying

Financing your education

The student experience (by current Waterloo students)

Agenda:

6:00 p.m. – Welcome

6:10 p.m. – Keynote

6:30 p.m. – Student speakers

6:45 p.m. – Admissions

7:00 p.m. – Financing Your Education

7:15 p.m. – Question and answer session

Please direct questions about this event to liaison@uwaterloo.ca or 519-888-4567, ext. 47569.