Goose ate your homework?

0

By Riamarie Panachikal

Student life can be hectic and there will be plenty of times when you need a little extra support to get through your day. Luckily, for most of the problems you’ll run into, there are services on campus that can help you out. Here are some of the most useful ones.

Counselling Services

First year can be a drastic change for a lot of students and in case you need someone to talk to, Counselling Services is here to support you along your journey. Through Counselling Services, students can access one-on-one appointments, coping skills workshops, and therapy groups.

Location: Needles Hall North, 2401

Health Services

If you find yourself feeling a bit woozy, your best option is to head to Health Services. There,  you can access mental health services and book appointments to speak with a doctor or nutritionist. Plus, on the off chance you catch a nasty stomach bug right before a major assignment or exam, Health Services can hook you up with a doctor’s note.

Location: Across the bridge from the Student Life Centre

Information Systems and Technology (IST)

IST is here to help students with their tech-related concerns, give tech support in research, teaching, and administrative needs, and generally make sure your academic experience is as bug-free as possible. If you find yourself needing a projector or camcorder, IST offers a variety of equipment for students to rent.

Location(s): DP Library, DC Library, CMH, and Village 1

Writing Centre

For those that need an extra set of eyes on your paper, the Writing and Communication Centre is here. The Centre can guide you with tips for writing reports and essays, help you develop an ePortfolio, and even help you plan presentations. Whether you need writing tips or just want help developing your professional voice, the Centre has you covered.

Location: South Campus Hall

Student Success Office

The Student Success Office (SSO) works with campus partners to help students achieve success throughout their university career. SSO offers resources for international students, academic and personal development services, and opportunities for student exchanges and studying abroad.

Location: Second floor of South Campus Hall

Centre for Career Action (CECA)

CECA is the career resource hub on campus. Here, students can meet with career advisors and staff to learn about higher education options. Among its many services, staff can help you find jobs and internships, and  review your resumes and cover letters. As co-op students will come to learn, most co-op job interviews take place in CECA’s interview offices.

Location: Tatham Centre

Retail Services

At the Bookstore, students can purchase a variety of materials for classes including textbooks, stationery supplies, lab coats, math-approved calculators, course kits, and other items such as iClickers. Here’s a clue: if you want to avoid the long line up at the start of term, you can also order supplies online.

Opposite the Bookstore is your hub for campus swag. In it, you can find everything from faculty specific hoodies and backpacks to geese (stuffed, not plucked).

Location: South Campus Hall, 117

Student Awards and Financial Services

Student awards and financial aids services provide information about financial aid options including scholarships, academic grants, bursaries and awards. OSAP and Work Study Program applications will be processed here.

Location: Needles Hall, second floor.

Media.Doc

This service provides students and staff with a variety of printing options including general printing needs for projects, reports and essays, and  3-D printing. Media.Doc’s offices at SLC and MC can also assist with taking passport photos.

Locations: DC, DP, EIT, MC and the SLC

Turnkey Desk

This is probably one the most useful services on campus. Here, you will be able to purchase GO Transit or Greyhound bus tickets, movie tickets at special student pricing, book study lounges or lounges for group meetings and activities. You can also ask any questions about campus concerns or ask for directions. And in case you’re a night owl, the Turnkey Desk is open 24/7.

Location: SLC

The Bike Centre

For all the Tour de France enthusiasts and environmental activists on our campus, you’ll be pleased to know that it’s possible to rent and repair bikes at the Feds Bike Centre. Bikes can be borrowed for the entire term for $100 or at $45 per month, in addition to a $250 damage deposit. 

Location: SLC, 0101

Feds Used Books

In Feds Used  Books you’ll find thousands of textbooks at a discounted price and be able to sell your old textbooks.

Location: SLC. 1102

Campus Tech

In case the unspeakable happens and your desktop or laptop crashes, the staff at Campus Tech are trained to diagnose and help you. Campus Tech specializes in Apple, Dell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, and Toshiba products. If you need to have your tech assessed, you can email or drop in and speak with a technician directly.

Location: SLC, 0131

The Glow Centre

Glow is UW’s LGBTQ* centre on campus and the first student organization of its kind in Canada. Glow promotes greater inclusivity and actively works to create safe spaces.                                                                                                                     They offer peer support with trained staff, have an in-facility library stacked with great resources, and host various events.

Location: SLC, 2102

The Women’s Centre

This service advocates for issues facing women and trans* folk on campus and in the community. They offer peer support with trained staff and frequently tackle issues concerning women and trans* folks health and sexuality from an anti-colonial and intersectional background. The Women’s Centre carries a variety of resources, including a library, and is also stocked with female hygiene products.

Location: SLC, 2101