Former Ranger joins Warriors

0
Brian Bourque Warriors head coach (left) and Ben Fanelli, associate coach (right) welcomed Jacob Cascagnette for the 2018-2019 season. Photo courtesy of Warriors Athletics Department

The Waterloo Warriors have signed a versatile former Kitchener Ranger.

Jacob Cascagnette officially joins the hockey team this October, but will start training with the team this summer.

“I’m definitely excited for what lies ahead it’s a whole new chapter in my life and [I’m] just super excited to get started,” he said. “I want to win and still be the best hockey player I can be.”

The 21-year-old has played hockey his entire life and hopes to take his career to the next level at the University of Waterloo.  He has played for Kitchener, Mississauga and Ottawa at the OHL level and is excited to come home to the KW area.

“I just honesty just have huge passion for the game. Ever since I was little.  Growing up I had a backyard rink every year. My dad made one in the back, it made my love for hockey so much,” he said. “Coming to the rink with 20 of your best friends is so much fun and I made so many friends in minor hockey and junior.”

The 6’3”, 205-lb forward played 232 career OHL games, including 140, over four seasons with the Rangers, wants to show UW he has what it takes to bring the team the versatile player they are looking for.

“I just want be the player, to be the versatile player that can play up and down the line up and play in any situation on the ice,” he said. “I know I’m going to be the rookie, but I want to be the guy to put the puck in the net and be the guy on the ice. I want to play a big role.”

His father, Joe Cascagnette, is a former campus recreational manager in the UWaterloo athletic department and that helped make UW one of his top choices, along with  his family, friends, and girlfriend.

He is also excited about the academic portion of his next adventure.

“I’ve heard so many good things about the hockey program and Brian Bourque’s wife used to teach me too. School wise too. I’m really excited about the education they have at Waterloo, so that made the choice very easy,” he said.

Brian Bourque, the Warrior’s head coach, is exited to have Cascagnette join the team as well. He said has seen Cascagnette play many times and knows he will fit his role on the team.

“Our biggest need is probably more the offensive type of player, but we were looking for someone very versatile,” he said. “We also need a shut down guy. If he can transition into that role, that’s great. If it doesn’t happen right away, which sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it takes time. I’m confident though.”

Cascagnette plans to study recreation and leisure and recreation business.

“I always have a dream playing professional hockey. I don’t see going to warriors stopping my journey. At the end of the day I still want to play professionally somewhere,” he said. “I think Waterloo gives me best opportunity to try and reach my goal. I’m at the point in my life that education is important.”