CIF Field House: Ready for action

0
Varun Venkataramanan

Located just north of Warrior Field with a polished industrial facade and a large warrior helmet on its side is the brand-new CIF Field House.

After almost two years under construction, the $16.5-million facility was unveiled to the public on Sept. 17. 

The highlight of the CIF Field House is a 100 x 50 yard turf field which can be divided into three programmable areas and allow  for multiple activities to take place at once.

The field is climate controlled and uses the same material as Warrior Field.

Other amenities in the building include more change rooms, additional office space, and multipurpose rooms.

UW’s varsity soccer, football, rugby, and field hockey teams will be the primary tenants of the facility for practice and training sessions. 

It will also be available for soccer, ultimate frisbee, flag football, and spikeball intramurals, as well as sports clubs such as cricket and quidditch.

As with all UW athletics facilities, it will be open to students during drop-in hours. The greater-KW community will be able to book the field during certain hours as well.

The facility was unveiled with a formal event featuring UW President and Vice-Chancellor Feridun Hamdullahpur, numerous varsity athletes, and elementary school students from the surrounding neighbourhood.

Hamdullahpur stressed the role of physical fitness in student health and encouraged everyone to make use of the field.

“This new Field House is much more than additional physical space for athletic activities.

It is a new space for all of our students to strengthen their experience on campus through recreational sports, wellness programs and simply coming together as a community,” Hamdullahpur said.

Along with the $41-million SLC-PAC expansion, the Field House is one of two major Athletics and Recreation projects on campus. The SLC-PAC expansion is supposed to be completed in 2020.