Chocolate Chip Shortbread

0

In a blink of an eye, it is February — the month of love. This recipe is perfect for those who are looking to prepare something sweet for their significant other or for themselves — because you gotta treat yourself too! These shortbread cookies are sweet and chocolatey with a salty and buttery depth. This is Alison Roman’s Salted Butter and Chocolate Shortbread Cookies, and they are a godsend.

Tools: 

A stand mixer or hand mixer

Spatula 

A mixing bowl 

Parchment paper 

Baking sheet 

Plastic wrap 

Ingredients: 

2 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour 

1 tsp of vanilla extract 

2 ¼ sticks of salted butter, cut into cubes 

½ cup of granulated sugar 

¼ cup of brown sugar

¾ cup of semi-sweet chocolate (bar, chopped into small chunks) 

1 egg (beaten) 

Salt 

Instructions: 

With a  mixer, combine the butter, sugars, and vanilla until the mix is light beige and fluffy — this should take three to five minutes. You can manually whisk this, but it’s not practical — you’d thank yourself later for using an electric mixer. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl and add the flour in small increments. Then, gently fold in the finely chopped chocolate. It is important to note that you should be using chocolate bars, as chocolate chips alter the texture of the shortbread. 

Portion your dough to the size of the plastic wrap so that the wrap can cover the dough. Once covered, gently shape the dough into a log form and chill the log in the fridge for a minimum of two hours. 

Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the parchment paper onto your baking sheet. Cut the log into ½-inch rounds. Brush the shortbread with the beaten egg and roll the sides in brown sugar. 

Bake for 12-15 minutes and let them cool.

Regardless of whether you find yourself making these cookies in February or not, this recipe can be used year-round. They are so good that you will reach for them anytime. So enjoy!