Campus Bulletin

0
<u><strong>Awards</strong></u>

Distinguished Teacher Awards — recognizes your outstanding instructor via the Distinguished Teacher Award. Nomination deadline is Friday, Feb. 7, 2014.

Amit and Meena Chakma Awards for Exceptional Teaching by a Student Award — nominate your TA for this award. Nomination deadline is Friday, Feb. 14, 2014. www.uwaterloo.ca/centre-for-teaching-excellence/support-faculty-and-staff/teaching-awards.

Announcements

University green guide was released this past September! Look for hard copies in the SLC and Waterloo Residences’ Front Desks. The guide is also available online on the SEED web site and likely soon on the UW Sustainability web site. SEED: https://uwaterloo.ca/school-environment-enterprise-development/UW Sustainability: https://uwaterloo.ca/sustainability/.

C.L.O.U.D. Projects at UW — get involved in a sustainable development project in developing communities around the world! Join The New World Community and travel to Kenya, Haiti, or the Dominican Republic. Visit www.thenwc.com/cloud_projects/cloud_on_campus or email Waterloo@thenwc.com for more details!

Are you interested in putting your UX skills into practice? Join us for an unforgettable experience and a chance to win awards totalling $20,000. For more info and to register visit UWaterloo Stratford campus home page.

Church of Scientology of Cambridge presents a free public information centre with over 500 films such as, effective study skills ; communication in social life and business and more. Open Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. ; Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., 1305 Bishop Street, N., Cambridge.

Ongoing Events

MONDAYS

BA? MA? MBA? If you’re so smart, why waste time and money? G.A.! Gamblers Anonymous meetings every Monday at 7 p.m., St. Marks Church, 825 King Street, W., Kitchener (basement).

TUESDAYS

Scottish Country Dancing — try something completely different this winter! Tuesday evenings from 8 to 10 p.m. at Historic St. Paul’s Church, 137 Queen Street, S., Kitchener. No partner required. Traditional jigs, reels and strathspreysin group dancing. For more info www.rscds.kitchener.on.ca.

UWRC Events

University of Waterloo recreation events are open to all employees of the univeristy and affiliated university colleges and their families/guests. Registration required at schatten@uwaterloo.ca

Beginning Wednesday, Jan. 15 — The Groove Dance Session with Cindy Howe from 12 to 1 p.m., CPH 3607, for 5 weeks. 

Wednesday, Jan. 29 — Coping with Anxiety with Jannah Tudiver from 12 to 1 p.m., MC 5158. 

Wednesday, Feb. 5 — The “I” in Diet: Selling you Thin with Dr. Sharon Roberts.

Saturday, Feb. 22 — 42nd Annual Hagey Bonspiel.

Volunteer

Snow buddies needed for local seniors. Approximately 95 clients are on the wait list. For more info call Rosalind Horne at 519-772-8787, ext 225 ; RosalindH@communitysupportconnections.org or Carolyn Coyle at 519-579-6930; carolyn.coyle@waterloo.ca.

Upcoming Events

JANUARY

University of Waterloo Art Gallery presents “Place and Space” by C. Wells, at Gallery One ; “Behind the High Grass” by Soft Turns (Sarah Gorlitz and Wojciech Olejnik), at Gallery Two from January 9 to March 8. Visit the gallery Tuesday to Saturday 12 to 5 p.m., at 263 Phillip Street, Waterloo. 519-880-6599. Free admission.

Tuesday, January 28 

St. Paul’s GreenHouse presents “So You Want to Change the World?” from 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. at St. Paul’s Lecture Hall 105. To register for this free public talk, larrysmithlecture.eventbrite.ca.

Centre for Career Action Workshops

Sign up is required for all workshops. Chart info at https://uwaterloo.ca/careeraction/workshop-prerequisite-chart. 

Friday, Jan. 24 — Interview Skills: Selling Your Skills — 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., TC 2218. Note: there is a prerequisite for this workshop. Please see chart/website info at top of this section.

Monday, Jan. 27— Make Networking Count — 4:30 to 6 p.m., TC 1208. Note: there is a prerequisite for this worshop. Please see chart/website info at top of this section.

How to Start Your Own Business — 2:30 to 4 p.m., TC 2218.

Teaching Philosophy Statement — 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., TC 1208.

Tuesday, Jan. 28 — Interview Skills: Selling Your Skills — 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., TC 2218. Note: there is a prerequisite for this workshop. Please see chart/website info at top of this section.

Are you LinkedIn? Learning the Basics — 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., TC 2218. Note: this workshop is intended for students who have limited experience with LinkedIn.

Wednesday, Jan. 29 — Business Etiquette and Professionalism — 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., TC 1208.

TESL/TESOL ­— What’s the Difference? ESL Teacher Certification — 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., TC 2218.

Writing CVs and Cover Letters — 10 to 11:30 a.m., TC 1208.

Thursday, Jan. 30 — Interview Skills: Preparing for Questions — 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., TC 1208. Note: there is a prerequisite for this workshop. Please see chart/website info at top of this section.

My World Abroad (formerly The Big Guide to Working and Living Overseas) — 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., TC 1208.

Monday, Feb. 3 — Making Job Fair Work for You — 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., TC 2218.

Make Networking Count — Part II — 4:30 to 6 p.m., TC 1208. Note: there is a prerequisite for this workshop. Please see chart/website info at top of this section.

Tuesday, Feb. 4 — Marketing Volunteer Experiences Effectively — 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., TC 2218.

Working Effectively in Another Culture — 1:30 to 3 p.m., TC 1208. This workshop is geared towards students who will go abroad to work and international students who want to work in Canada.

Professional School Interviews (Standard and MMI) — 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., TC 1208. Note: there is a prerequisite for this workhsop. Please see chart/website info at top of this section.

Preparing to have Difficult Conversations with Your Supervisor — 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., TC 2218.

Wednesday, Feb. 5 — Career Interest Assessment (Strong Interest Inventory) — 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., TC 1214. Note: there is a materials charge of $10 payable at the Centre for Career Action prior to the session. Once you have registered and paid, you will be given information on how to complete the Strong Interest Inventory online. The online assessment must be completed at least two (2) business days prior to the workshop.

Careers 601 — 1:30 to 3 p.m., TC 1208. Note: workshop for graduating students and Post-Docs.

Job Fair — 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., RIM Park. Visit www.partners4employment.ca for more info. Note: consider attending the “Making Job Fairs Work for You” workshop February 3.

Thursday, Feb. 6 — Exploring Your Personality Type (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) — Part 1, 2:30 to 4 p.m., TC 1214. Note: there is a materials charge of $10 payable at the Centre for Career Action prior to the session. Once you have registered and paid, you will be given information on how to complete the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) online. The online assessment must be completed at least two business days prior to the workshop.

Social Media, Networking and You — 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., TC 2218.

Get Started on Your Grad Applications — 1:30 to 3 p.m., TC 1208.

Writing Successful Grant Proposals — 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., TC 1208.

Monday, Feb. 10 — Kick-start Your Career — Volunteer! 2:30 to 3:30 p.m., TC 2218.

Tuesday, Feb. 11 — It’s All About Your Skills — 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., TC 1112.

Classifieds – Help Wanted

Weekend counselors and relief staff to work in homes for individuals with developmental challenges. Minimum eight-month commitment. Paid positions. Send resume to Human Resources, KW Habilitation Services, 108 Sydney Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 3V2.

One Imprint distribution worker needed for winter term beginning Jan. 10 (every Friday) to April 4. Valid drivers license and 21+ years of age required for one position. Job hours begin at 5:30 a.m. ; $70 cash for each worker. For more info email ads@imprint.uwaterloo.ca or drop in to the office  in Student Life Centre, room 1116, ask for Laurie.