Campus Bulletin

0
<strong><u>Upcoming Events</u></strong>

June

24th Annual Homer Watson Exhibition: “Streaming Skies” from June 14 to August 17. Opening reception June 15 from 1 to 4 p.m.; artist talk July 19 from 1 to 3 p.m. For info 519-748-4377 or homerwatson.on.ca.

Sunday, June 15

Calling all artists to submit their exhibition proposal submissions by June 15 to Homer Watson House & Gallery, which will showcase the artwork in 2015. For more info exhibitions@homerwatson.on.ca or 519-748-4377, ext. 233.

July

22nd Sun Life Financial UpTown Waterloo Jazz Festival July 18 to 20, various times. For info patti.brooks@waterloo.ca or 519-885-1921.

September

Rotunda Gallery call for 2015 exhibition proposals in the visual arts. Deadline September 11 at 4 p.m. For info www.kitchener.ca/rotundagallery or Kitchener City Hall, 200 King Street, W., Kitchener.

Ongoing Events

MONDAYS

BA? MA? MBA? If you’re so smart, why waste time and money? G.A.! Gamblers Anonymous meetings every Monday at 7 p.m., St. Marks Church, 825 King Street, W., Kitchener (basement).

TUESDAYS

Scottish Country Dancing — Try something completely different this summer! Tuesday evenings from 8 to 10 p.m. at Historic St. Paul’s Church, 137 Queen Street S., Kitchener. No partner required. Traditional jigs, reels and strathspreysin group dancing. For more info www.rscds.kitchener.on.ca.

Announcements

ATTENTION, ladies! FASTBALL players WANTED! KW -based recreational women’s league is looking for players for the 2014 season. Part-time players welcome! Visit www.kwladiesfastball.com for league and contact info.

C.L.O.U.D. Projects at UW — get involved in a sustainable development project in developing communities around the world! Join The New World Community and travel to Kenya, Haiti, or the Dominican Republic. Visit www.thenwc.com/cloud_projects/cloud_on_campus or email Waterloo@thenwc.com for more details!

Are you interested in putting your UX skills into practice? Join us for an unforgettable experience and a chance to win awards totalling $20,000. For more info and to register, visit UWaterloo Stratford campus home page.

Church of Scientology of Cambridge presents a free public information centre with over 500 films, such as effective study skills, communication in social life and business, and more. Open Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., 1305 Bishop Street, N., Cambridge.

University green guide was released this past September! Available in the SLC and Waterloo Residences’ Front Desks, online on the SEED website and likely soon on the UW Sustainability website. SEED: https://uwaterloo.ca/school-environment-enterprise-development/.

Centre for Career Action Workshops 

Sign up is required for all workshops. Chart info at https://uwaterloo.ca/careeraction/workshop-prerequisite-chart

Monday, June 16

Writing CVs and Cover Letters — TC 1208 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Note: workshop for Graduates and Post-Doc students.

Tuesday, June 17 

Career Interest Assessment (Strong Interest Inventory) — TC 1214 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Note: there is a materials charge of $10 payable at the Centre for Career Action prior to the session. Once you have registered and paid, you will be given information on how to complete the Strong Interest Inventory online. The online assessment must be completed at least two (2) business days prior to the workshop.

Academic Work Search — TC 1208 from 2:30 to 4 p.m. Note: this workshop is for Graduate and Post-Doc students.

Wednesday, June 18

General Application — TC 1208 from 3 to 4:30 p.m.

Success on the Job — TC 1208 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.

How to Start Your Own Business — TC 2218 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. Note: workshop for Graduate Students and Post-Docs.

Thursday, June 19

Successfully Negotiating Job Offers — TC 1208 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Note: this workshop is geared to graduating students.

So You Want to be an Academic? — TC 1208 from 2:30 to 4 p.m. Note: this workshop is for Graduate and Post-Doc students.

Friday, June 20

Interview Skills: Preparing for Questions — TC 1208 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Note: the Interview Skills Workshop is a prerequisite for this workshop.

Monday, June 23

Mitacs: Skills of Communication — TC 2218 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Note: please register at www.mitacs.ca for this workshop by clicking on “events and workshops.”

Tuesday, June 24

Management Consulting as a Career Option — TC 2218 from 1:30 to 3 p.m.

Wednesday, June 25

Work Search Strategies — TC 1208 from 10:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. Note: the Work Search Workshop is a prerequisite for this workshop.

Non-academic Work Search and Networking — TC 1208 from 1:30 to 3 p.m.

Thursday, June 26

Teaching Philosophy Statement — TC 1208 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Note: this workshop is for Graduate and Post-Doc students.

Friday, June 27

Interview Skills: Proving Your Skills — TC 1208 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Note: the Interview Skills Workshop is a prerequisite for this workshop.

UWRC Events

UW Recreation Committee Book Club — join us at 12 noon, LIB 407.

Wednesday, June 18 — Dear Life by Alice Munro.

Wednesday, July 16 — The Night Shift: Real Life in the Heart of the ER by Dr. Brian Goldman.

Volunteering

The Meals on Wheels program has found a new home and is looking for the community’s support to make the dream of operating their own kitchen a reality. If you are interested in helping CSC build its new kitchen, whether through volunteering your time and skills, or by making a financial contribution, please contact Rosalind at 519-772-8787 x 225 or rosalindh@communitysupportconnections.org.

Classifieds – Help Wanted

Weekend councillors and relief staff to work in homes for individuals with developmental challenges. Minimum eight-month commitment. Paid positions. Send resume to Human Resources, KW Habilitation Services, 108 Sydney Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 3V2.

Classifieds – Housing

One to five bedrooms September leases available for students. Located at 333 King Street, minutes from UW! Luxe buildings are safe, student friendly, and full of amenities. $599 to $690/room. Call 519-279-6700.