Baseball Warriors go 3-1 in weekend series

0
The Waterloo men&rsquo;s baseball team had an almost-perfect streak over the Sept. 26-27 weekend, but were denied that perfect record by the Guelph Gryphons in their last road game, finishing with a 3-1 record.&nbsp;</p>

The Warriors opened their series against the McMaster Marauders on Sept. 26 at the Jack Couch Ballpark, getting right down to business by opening the score with three runs in the bottom of the first. The Marauders then scored two runs in the top half of the inning, and added another run in the top of the third courtesy of catcher Andy Falcon, tying the game at 3-3. 

The Warriors scored two runs in the bottom of the fourth giving them the 5-3 advantage. UW was far from done, scoring three more runs in the bottom of the seventh, giving them a comfortable five-run advantage. McMaster attempted to tie the game but came up short, scoring two runs in the top of the eight and ending the game 8-5 in favour of the Warriors. 

Third baseman Michael Clouthier put in a solid performance with three hits and two RBIs in the first game against McMaster. Centre-fielder Donald Smith, catcher Haydon Friesen, and shortstop Erik Werner each contributed with two hits each. Pitcher Brandon Semus was credited with the win, pitching six innings, striking out five, and giving up three hits. 

For the second game of the series against McMaster, the Warriors continued to step on the gas, routing the Marauders 14-4 in only six innings. The Warriors started their hot streak during the bottom of the second inning by scoring four runs. Clouthier was impressive yet again with three hits and three RBIs. The Marauders scored a single run in the top of third and continued to add to their score, adding two more runs in the fourth. 

It looked as if the Marauders had a chance to tie the game at four runs, but the Warriors crushed any hope for McMaster during their next turn at bat. Waterloo added four runs to their score in the bottom of the fourth, making it 8-3 for the Warriors. The Marauders managed to score one more run in the top of the sixth, but the Warriors weren’t showing any mercy and scored six more runs in the bottom of the inning, forcing the game into the mercy rule by going up by ten runs, taking the game 14-4. 

On Sept. 27, the Warriors won their first game against the Guelph Gryphons 2-0 with Ryne Weppler putting in a stellar performance by allowing just five hits in nine innings. During their last game of the weekend, the Warriors were topped by the Gryphons 13-3. Waterloo’s record is now 7-3 and they are in the third spot in the OUA standings with 14 points.