All black and gold everything

0

Fall is here and with that comes the start of a new school year, a drop in temperature, pumpkin spice everything, an uptick of Roots sweatpants worn on campus, and a full slate of Warriors varsity sports. Almost every varsity team starts their season in the fall term and a few are already off to the races.

Men’s Baseball

The men’s baseball team opened up their season Sept 10 against the Laurier Golden Hawks. They split their doubleheader by winning the first game, 3-2, and losing the second game 9-4. The following day was an echo of their first doubleheader as they split their doubleheader once more, this time against the Brock Badgers. They convincingly took the first game, 14-7, but couldn’t keep the offensive momentum going, losing 2-8 in the second game. They are now 2-2 and will look to get above .500 this weekend as they play doubleheaders against Guelph Sept. 17 and York Sept. 18 in Kitchener’s Jack Couch Park.

Men’s Football

To say it has been a rough start for the men’s football team would be an understatement. They have played three games, losing all by an average margin of 56.33 points with defeats coming from York, Ottawa, and Western. The team is still young and inexperienced as the roster is mainly comprised of first- and second-year players, so growing pains were expected. The football team will look to earn their first win of the season Sept. 17 against McMaster.

Men’s and Women’s Soccer

Both soccer teams kicked off their seasons Aug. 28 with a doubleheader against crosstown rivals Laurier Golden Hawks. On the men’s side of the pitch, they were defeated 1-3, while the women’s team ended with a 1-1 draw. Since then, both teams have played four games. The men’s team would go on to beat Brock, lose to Guelph and York, and tie with Western, leaving them with a 1-3-1 record. The women’s team have lost their last four games against the aforementioned teams, resulting in a 0-4-1 record. Both teams will look to get back in the win column as they play host to the Windsor Lancers Sept 17.

Men’s and Women’s Tennis

It was not the most ideal matchup for the tennis team’s first opponent as they travelled to Scarborough Sept. 12 to square up against the University of Toronto Blues. The Toronto men’s team were last season’s OUA champions and the runners up at the National Universities Championships this past July. The Waterloo men’s team was unable to win a match, or even a set, against U of T in both singles and doubles play which resulted in a 7-0 overall score for Toronto. The Waterloo women’s team started off well by winning all three doubles matches but were clearly outmatched in singles play as they were unable to take a single match. This resulted in an overall score of 6-1 in favor of Toronto. The tennis teams will look to bounce back against McMaster Sept. 17 and Carleton the following day at the Waterloo Tennis Club.