A smashing finale

0
Valentine&rsquo;s Day is everywhere. People are obsessing over what to get their significant other, commercials are pushing their products in time for the holiday of love, and stores are setting up displays and sales to optimize on lovestruck consumers. All this gushy and mushy crap can weigh down on someone whose relationship status has stayed forever single.&nbsp;</p>

I’m not meaning to put a damper on things, but it can be very stressful to be constantly bombarded with all those warm and fuzzy images of love. In stressful times, I “love” to turn to video games — especially those which allow me to pummel things into oblivion.

Speaking of games where you pummel things into oblivion, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS received its final slate of DLC on Feb. 3. After well over a year of support, Nintendo, Sora Ltd., and Bandai Namco are closing the book on this entry of the beloved fighting game series. In a day and age where there are so many games battling for our attention, it’s surprising to see a game stay relevant for so long after its release. Plus, with rumours spreading over the inevitable Smash Bros. for the NX, will Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS stay relevant for that much longer?

While each piece of Smash Bros. DLC comes with a slew of costumes and stages, the centrepiece is always the new fighters. Those in question are Corrin and Bayonetta. 

Much like Robin before them, Corrin is the player avatar from their respective Fire Emblem game, in this case the upcoming Fire Emblem Fates. Similar to Robin, Corrin comes in both male and female variants. That is where the similarities end. Don’t let Corrin’s thin build fool you, this descendent of the Dawn Dragon packs one hell of a punch. Corrin’s strength is complemented by their reach. Corrin’s side smash is a great way to send foes flying. After a few matches, Corrin has become my new favourite.

Bayonetta is a different beast altogether. From Platinum’s bombastic cult classic action titles, the Umbra witch focuses on quick strikes and chipping away at an opponent’s health with her hand and leg-mounted guns. Constant movement and dodging are your best friends when playing as Bayonetta because it is easy to get overwhelmed if she stays in one place for too long. The only reprieve you get is when activating Bayonetta’s Witch Time dodge, which slows down your opponent’s movement for a brief period. While Bayonetta is not suited for my style personally, it is very satisfying to dispatch foes with gigantic fists and humongous heels made of hair.

If rumours are true, the next Smash might be here sooner than we think. Despite the possible reality,  Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS had a wonderfully smashing run. The DLC breathed new life into the game, the 3DS version allowed gamers to take Smash on the go for the first time, and both versions brought people together in a way that rarely happens nowadays. Although my time with this Smash pales in comparison to the years I dedicated to both Melee and Brawl respectively, it got me to learn the mechanics and intricacies of the game rather than button-mashing. This entry made me a better gamer and I will always cherish it for that.