A Saturday in Kitchener-Waterloo

0

Not sure how to spend your days off? Trying to find some variety when it comes to socializing with friends? Not interested in clubbing every weekend? Whatever your situation, we’ve got you covered. Spend a Saturday in KW with us, and we’ll help you find some cheap, local activities that aren’t your typical night out.  

First, let’s grab lunch! 

You’ve probably just slept off a tough week of classes, and are ready to start off the weekend with a great meal. First, let’s decide whether we want to eat indoors or outdoors. Take your pick, and then check out our suggestions below.

If you picked eating indoors:

Pair A Dice Cafe: 258 King St. N.

17 minutes via bus

This board game cafe updates their catalog of games on a weekly basis, and offers a number of deals on their menu. The cafe serves a variety of food, offering everything from gourmet sandwiches to candy bowls.

Sweet Dreams Teashop: 170 University Ave. W. #14

10 minute walk

Sweet Dreams is known primarily for their bubble tea, but the cafe has a number of other food and drink choices as well. Their menu offers coffee, tea, and smoothies, as well as food options which range from dumplings to blueberry pie.

The Yeti Cafe: 14 Eby St. N.

30 minutes via bus

Located in Downtown Kitchener, this cafe serves brunch and drinks all week long. You can find cozy indoor seating at the Yeti, as well as regular appearances from DJs and comedians.

If you picked eating outdoors:

Picnic in the park

Picnics are great because of how customizable they are. You can go all-out and bring a basket, blanket, and a prepared meal, or you can simply grab a snack and head out the door. Waterloo Park is a picnic hotspot for UW students as it’s located right by the Laurier-Waterloo trail, only a five-minute walk from campus. Spend your lunch hour studying at a picnic table, playing sports, or just soaking in the outdoors. In summer, there’s also a petting zoo featuring goats, llamas, and peacocks!

Now, let’s find something to do

Now that we’ve had some lunch, it’s time to start exploring the city. If you’re getting worried about spending too much on a day out, don’t panic! We’ve chosen some activities that are totally free. So put away your wallet, and choose what’s next on the agenda.

Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery: 101 Queen St. N.

40 minutes via busz

Admission to the KW Art Gallery is free, making it a convenient spot to enjoy some art. Spend the afternoon perusing current exhibitions, or check out some of the art workshops and events they have on offer. Workshops range in price, but many paint workshops are free. In September the gallery will be offering two free events: Walk the Talk: Architectural Tour, on Sept. 23, and O:se Kenhionhata:tie – Land Back Camp Panel on Sept. 30.

The Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery: 25 Caroline St. N.

20 minutes via bus

Another gallery that’s free to visit! Located in Uptown Waterloo, the gallery is just a short walk or ION trip from campus. As its name suggests, the gallery is dedicated to featuring clay, glass, and enamel artwork from Canadian artists. Be sure to keep an eye on the events and workshops that are currently running. On Sept. 30, the gallery will host a workshop on creating small batch preserves & glass jar decorating, with tickets priced at only $7. Also on weekends from October to June, the gallery will be hosting Claytime, a beginner’s clay workshop.

Gaukel Block: 44 Gaukel St.

30 minutes via bus

Part of Gaukel Street in Downtown Kitchener has recently been designated a pedestrian-only area, making it a perfect spot for picnics. The area is also a great place to do some outdoor shopping as it regularly hosts local vendors.

Finally, let’s enjoy an evening out

If you don’t quite feel like heading home yet, how about an evening show? Whether you’re interested in seeing some live entertainment or just going to the movies, KW has a lot to offer. We’ve outlined a few options for each category below:

If you picked going to the movies:

Cineplex: 550 King St. N.

20 minutes via bus

For UW students, the Conestoga Cineplex is only a short bus or ION trip away, providing a great option for last-minute evening plans. Cineplex also offers a rewards system, and has discounted ticket pricing on Tuesdays (usually around $3 off, depending on the ticket type).

Apollo Cinema: 141 Ontario St. N.

33 minutes via bus

Located in Downtown Kitchener, the Apollo shows new-releases and hosts frequent screenings of classic films. Student memberships are available for purchase at only $4.99, which offer a variety of discounts and bonuses.

Princess Cinemas: 46 King St. N.

20 minutes via bus

With two locations in Uptown Waterloo, the Princess is an easily-accessible option for UW students. New films as well as special events take place at these theaters, and students get a discounted price on tickets when they show ID. Additionally, you can buy ticket vouchers at Turnkey Desk in the SLC for cheaper prices.

If you picked seeing a live performance:

Live Theatre 

Looking for live entertainment? There are numerous theater companies in KW to explore. Right here at UW, you’ll be able to catch the theater department’s latest production (pros: you don’t have to leave campus, and tickets are low-priced for students). Other local theaters include the St. Jacobs Country Playhouse and Kitchener-Waterloo Little Theatre. St Jacobs Country Playhouse will be running Mary’s Wedding in October (tickets starting at $34), and Kitchener-Waterloo Little Theatre will be running The Funeral to End All Funerals in November and December (tickets at $25).

Centre In The Square: 101 Queen St. N.

37 minutes via bus

Kitchener’s Centre In The Square is home to a variety of shows year-round, including ballets, concerts, comedy shows, and more. Most shows offer discounted student tickets, making university a great time to see some would-be expensive shows for a much cheaper price. In September, the Centre will be offering The Australian Pink Floyd Show, Relive The Music 50’s and 60’s, and Led Zeppelin and The Who With Jeans ‘N Classics Orchestra.

Thanks for spending the day with us! Hopefully, today’s given you inspiration for your next weekend in the city.